Ma Xing Shi Gan Tang (Ephedra, Apricot Kernel, Gypsum, and Licorice Decoction)
Formula 14 of 30 in Formulas that Clear Heat
our partners at CHD
- Formulas that Clear Heat from the Qi Level
- Heat trapped in the Lungs, with or without an external Wind-Heat condition
- Releases the exterior, and clears Wind Heat
- Clears heat from the Lungs.
- Circulates the Lung Qi and stops wheezing by directing rebellious Lung Qi down.
- Fever with or without sweating
- Coughing, wheezing, or asthma with difficult or labored breathing.
- Flaring and pain of the nostrils.
- Thirst with dry throat.
Possible Tongue Appearance:
- Red tip with a thin yellow or white tongue coat
Possible Pulse Patterns:
- Rapid, slippery, and floating when presenting with external conditions
- Upper Respiratory Tract Infections
- Lobar Pneumonia
- Bronchial Pneumonia
- Bronchial Asthma
- Pneumonitis from Measles
- Pertussis (Whooping Cough)
Cautions, Contraindications, Herb Drug Interactions:
- Do not use in cases of wheezing or asthma due to Wind Cold invasion
- Decoction. Modern Dosage is usually 50% less than listed.
Originally Appeared In:
- On Cold Damage (Shang Han Lun)
- Especially useful in children.
Combined Channels of all herbs in this formula:
- Lungs, Bladder, Stomach, Large Intestine
There are 4 Substances in this Chinese MedicneMa Huang (Ephedra Stem)
Quantity = 12 grams
Quantity = 48 grams
Quantity = 18 grams (50 pieces)
Quantity = 6 grams
Find Similar Chinese Formulas
Sacred Lotus can compare the Chinese herbs in this formula to all other formulas on the website. Formula archetypes will list of formulas that have similar herbs, ranked by the number of herbs that match: