Ma Huang Tang (Ephedra Decoction)
Formula 6 of 25 in Formulas that Release the Exterior
our partners at CHD
- Formulas that Release Early-Stage Exterior Disorders
- Exterior Wind-Cold Excess
- Promotes sweating, releases the exterior, and disperses wind cold
- Excess Wind Cold condition
- Chills and fever, no sweating, body aches, headache, wheezing, runny nose with clear discharge.
Possible Tongue Appearance:
- Thin white tongue coat
Possible Pulse Patterns:
- Floating and tight pulse
- Common Cold
Cautions, Contraindications, Herb Drug Interactions:
- Used only in exterior excess Wind Cold, and it's use is ceased once sweating occurs
- Not for exterior deficient Wind Cold patterns.
- Not for exterior Wind Heat patterns.
- Not for patients that are prone to bleeding.
- Use caution in patients with Hypertension.
Originally Appeared In:
- On Cold Damage (Shang Han Lun)
- This formula is best used when there is NO sweating with an exterior cold condition.
Combined Channels of all herbs in this formula:
- Lungs, Bladder, Heart, Large Intestine
There are 4 Substances in this Chinese MedicneMa Huang (Ephedra Stem)
Quantity = 9 grams
Quantity = 6 grams
Quantity = 9-12 grams
Quantity = 3 grams
Find Similar Chinese Formulas
Sacred Lotus can compare the Chinese herbs in this formula to all other formulas on the website. Formula archetypes will list of formulas that have similar herbs, ranked by the number of herbs that match: