Huang Lian Jie Du Tang (Coptis Decoction to Relieve Toxicity)
Formula 12 of 30 in Formulas that Clear Heat
- Formulas that Clear Heat from the Qi Level
- Fire toxins in all three Jiao
- Drains fire and clears toxicity
- High fever, irritability, dry mouth and throat, insomnia
- Hematemesis, epistaxis, or spitting of blood.
- Toxic swellings such as carbuncles, furuncles, other suppurative sores, and deep-rooted boils.
- Damp Heat Jaundice.
- Damp Heat Dysentery.
Possible Tongue Appearance:
- Red and dry with a yellow coat
Possible Pulse Patterns:
- Rapid and forceful pulse
- Acute Urinary Tract Infection
- Purulent Skin Lesions (Furuncles, Carbuncles, and Boils)
Cautions, Contraindications, Herb Drug Interactions:
- Use only in cases where the patient has a strong constitution
- Do not use in cases where there is fluid or Yin deficiency.
- Do not use over a long period of time.
- Decoction. Modern dosage of Huang Lian is usually 50-75% less than the dosage indicated.
Originally Appeared In:
- Arcane Essentials from the Imperial Library (Wai Tai Bi Yao)
Combined Channels of all herbs in this formula:
- Large Intestine, Stomach, Heart, Liver, Lungs, Gall Bladder, Kidneys
There are 4 Substances in this Chinese Medicne
9 grams of Huang Lian (Coptis Rhizome)
6 grams of Huang Qin (Baical Skullcap Root)
6-12 grams of Zhi Zi (Gardenia, Cape Jasmine Fruit)
Find Similar Chinese Formulas
Sacred Lotus can compare the Chinese herbs in this formula to all other formulas on the website. Formula archetypes will list of formulas that have similar herbs, ranked by the number of herbs that match: