Chinese Herb: Yin Chen (Yinchenhao Shoots and Leaves, Capillaris), Herba Artemisiae Yinchenhao
Herb 26 of 28 in Herbs that Regulate Water and Drain Dampness
LIV, SP, GB, ST
Bitter, Spicy, Cool
Herba Artemisiae Yinchenhao
Yin Chen Hao, Main Yin Chen, Mian Chen
Chinese Herb Actions
Clears Damp-Heat, Treats Yang Type Jaundice
This is the best herb for treatment of jaundice due to damp-heat or damp-cold. Most commonly used for jaundice with bright orange-yellow skin usually referred to as yang-type. Also used with other herbs for yin-type jaundice with yellow, dull, and lusterless appearance although it is traditionally contraindicated for this type.
- Clears Damp-Heat from the Skin
Especially for lower body skin diseases including sores, rashes, eczema, oozing sores, and urticaria due to damp-heat on the exterior.
- Treats Febrile diseases with Damp-Heat
For fever, body aches, oppression in the chest, constipation, yellow urine and abdominal distension due to damp-heat.
- Promotes Urination
Weakly promotes urination
Chinese Herb Contraindications & Cautions
- Use caution in cases without Damp-Heat.
- Do not use in cases with jaundice due to blood accumulation.
- None noted, but caution should be used when combining with diuretic drugs.
Chinese Herb Toxicity & Overdose
- Overdose can lead to rare toxic side effects including fainting, dizziness, headache, numb upper extremities with tremors, palpitations and feelings of chest oppression.
- Section not completed...
Chinese Herb Dosage
- 10-30 grams in decoction 12
- 9-30 grams in decoction 13
Chinese Herb Notes
- This herb is the primary herb for treatment of jaundice due to its bitter and slightly cold nature. When treating Yang jaundice with signs of heat bitter cold herbs should be included like Zhi Zi. When treating Yin jaundice with signs of cold warming herbs like Fu Zi should be included.
Chinese Herb Clinical Studies & Research
- Animal studies have show Yin Chen Hao to have several physiological effects including hepatoprotective(1), antibiotic(2), antihypertensive(3), antihyperlipidemic(4), antipyretic(5), antiparasitic(6), diuretic(7), and cholagogic(8). (Chen)
- Human clinical studies in China have shown Yin Chen Hao to be effective in the treatment of hepatitis(9), hypercholesterolemia(10), topical foot fungal infections(11), and parasites(12). (Chen)
1. Guo Wai Yi Xue Zhong Yao Fen Ce, 1986; 8(5):22
2. Zhong Yao Xue, 1998; 355:357
3. Zhi Wu Yao You Xiao Cheng Fen Shou Ce, 1986; 172; 173; 584; 940
4. Zhong Yao Yao Li Yu Ying, 1990; 15(6):52
5. Planta Med, 1984; 46(1):84
6. Zhong Yao Xue, 1998; 355:357
7. Zhong Yao Xue, 1998; 355:357
8. Xian Dai Zhong Yao Yao Li Xue, 1997; 571
9. Fu Jian Zhong Yi Yao, 1959; 7:42
10. Zhong Yi Zo Zhi, 1980; 1:39
11. Si Chuan Zhong Cao Yao Tong Xun, 1976; 3:28
12. Shan Dang Yi Kan, 1965; 12:44
- Chin J Integr Med. 2005 Mar;11(1):54-6.
An experiment on standardized cell culture assay in assessing the activities of Composite Artemisia Capillaris Tablets against hepatitis B virus replication in vitro.
- Arch Pharm Res. 2005 Feb;28(2):203-8
Scoparone from Artemisia capillaris inhibits the release of inflammatory mediators in RAW 264.7 cells upon stimulation cells by interferon-gamma Plus LPS.
- Planta Med. 2005 Feb;71(2):186-90.
Chemical composition and antimicrobial activity of the essential oils of Artemisia scoparia and A. capillaris.
- Int J Mol Med. 2004 May;13(5):717-20.
The aqueous extract from Artemisia capillaris Thunb. inhibits lipopolysaccharide-induced inflammatory response through preventing NF-kappaB activation in human hepatoma cell line and rat liver.
- Yakushigaku Zasshi. 2003;38(1):42-53.
Historical and herbological investigation of Yinchenhao
- Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi. 2000
Inhibitory activity of Dianthus superbus L. and 11 kinds of diuretic Traditional Chinese medicines for urogenital Chlamydia trachomatis in vitro
- Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol. 2002
Inhibitory effect of Artemisia capillaris on ethanol-induced cytokines (TNF-alpha, IL-1alpha) secretion in Hep G2 cells.
- World J Gastroenterol. 1998 Oct;4(5):443-445.
Effect of combined therapy of Yinchenhao Chengqi decoction and endoscopic sphincterotomy for endotoxemia in acute cholangitis.
- Jpn J Cancer Res. 2000 Jan;91(1):113-7.
Apoptosis in human hepatoma cell line SMMC-7721 induced by water-soluble macromolecular components of Artemisia capillaris Thunberg.