Chinese Herb: Nu Zhen Zi (Privet Fruit, Ligustrum), Fructus Ligustri Lucidi
Herb 8 of 15 in Herbs that Tonify Yin
Bitter, Sweet, Cool (or Neutral)
Fructus Ligustri Lucidi
nǚ zhēn zĭ
Nu Zhen, Dong Qing Zi, Nu Zhen Shi
Female Chastity Seed
Chinese Herb Actions
Tonifies Liver and Kidney Yin and Jing
For dizziness, spots before the eyes, prematurely grey hair, tinnitus, sore and weak low back and knees
- Clears Heat and Brightens the Eyes
Treats vision problems including blurred vision, dry eyes, and diminished vision due to excess and Deficient conditions. For red and painful eyes due to Liver Yang Rising
Chinese Herb Contraindications & Cautions
- Do not use in cases of diarrhea due to Spleen and Stomach Deficiency leading to Cold
- Use caution in cases with Yang deficiency
- Nu Zhen Zi lowers plasma glucose levels. Combining this herb with anti-diabetic medication such as insulin or sulfonylureas may result in hypoglycemia. 12
Chinese Herb Toxicity & Overdose
- None Noted.
- Section not completed...
Chinese Herb Dosage
- 10-15 grams in decoction 12
- 9-18 grams in decoction 13
Chinese Herb Notes
- This herb is also useful in cases of lymph or lung tuberculosis due to Yin Deficiency.