Ma Dou Ling (Birthwort Fruit)
Herb 3 of 12 in Herbs that Relieve Coughing and Wheezing
our partners at CHD
Chinese Herb Actions
Clears Lungs, Transforms Phlegm, Stops Cough and Wheeze
For cough and wheezing of all types due to Phlegm and Heat
- Clears Heat in the Large Intestine, Reduces Swelling and Pain
Treats hemorrhoids by clearing Large Intestine Fire
- Lowers Blood Pressure
For hypertension, especially early stage primary hypertension due to Liver Yang Rising with dizziness and red face
Chinese Herb Contraindications & Cautions
- Do not use in cases with coughing due to deficiency or cold
- Do not use in cases with loose stools due to Spleen Deficiency
- Do not use long term or in large doses
- Section not completed...
Chinese Herb Toxicity & Overdose
- This herb contains aristolochic acid, a compound that can cause permanent kidney damage, including kidney failure. It has also been shown to cause cancer, specifically urothelial carcinoma.
- Position paper on the risks associated with the use of herbal products containing Aristolochia
European Medicines Agency (EMEA)
- This herb is considered toxic.
(while some Chinese herbs are toxic, it must be noted that many come prepared, or are combined, to mitigate their toxicity)
Chinese Herb Dosage
- 3-10 grams in decoction (Chen)
- 3-9 grams in decoction (Bensky)