Formula 6 of 14 in Formulas that Drain Downward
- Formulas that Purge Heat Accumulation
- Mild Yang Ming Organ Heat
- Mildly purges formed heat accumulation
- Constipation and irritability with no abdominal fullness or focal distention
- Also for epistaxis, swollen or bleeding gums, swollen throat, and petechiae due to Stomach heat.
Possible Tongue Appearance:
- Red tongue with a yellow tongue coat
Possible Pulse Patterns:
- Acute Simple Intestinal Obstruction
- Acute Cholecystitis
- Acute Appendicitis
Cautions, Contraindications, Herb Drug Interactions:
- Do not use long term
- Use only in cases where there is constipation
- Do not use in cases where exterior pathogens have not been completely eliminated
- Use cautiously in weak patients.
- Do not use during pregnancy.
- Decoction. Add Mang Xiao to the final strained decoction of Da Huang and Gan Cao
Originally Appeared In:
- On Cold Damage (Shang Han Lun)
- While there is no abdominal fullness or focal distention, there may be abdominal pain that is exacerbated with plapation.
Combined Channels of all herbs in this formula:
- Large Intestine, Stomach, Heart, Liver, Lungs, Spleen
There are 3 Substances in this Chinese Medicne
HT, LI, LIV, ST
Radix Et Rhizoma Rhei
Gan Cao (Qty: 6 grams)
All 12 (Primarily the LU, HT, SP, ST)
Sweet Herb, Sweet Grass
Salty, Bitter, Very Cold
Find Similar Chinese Formulas
Sacred Lotus can compare the Chinese herbs in this formula to all other formulas on the website. Formula archetypes will list of formulas that have similar herbs, ranked by the number of herbs that match: