Spicy (Xin) - Yang in Nature
Substances that enter the Lung Meridian.
Spicy substances can scatter, disperse, and move.
- Diaphoretic, Treats Cold, and is Nourishing
- Invigorates Blood and Moves Blood Stagnation
Sweet (Gan) - Yang in Nature
Substances that enter the Spleen Meridian.
Sweet substances can scatter, tonify, harmonize, and are sometimes thought to moisten.
- Alleviate Pain and Spasms
- Nourish and Tonify the Middle Jiao
- Changes the taste of Herbal Formula
Bitter (Ku) - Yin in Nature
Substances that enter the Heart Meridian.
Bitter substances can drain, clear Heat, dry Dampness, and descend Fire.
- Retention of Dampness due to Heat or Cold
Sour (Suan) - Yin in Nature
Substances that enter the Liver Meridian.
Sour substances can drain, astringes, improve digestion, soften the arteries, and prevent or reverse the abnormal leakage of energy and fluids.
- Excess Perspiration
- Softens Arteries
Salty (Xian) - Yin in Nature
Substances that enter Kidneys.
Salty substances can drain, purge, and soften masses
- Softens and Dissolves Lumps and Masses
- Reduce Phlegm