Ma Huang Tang (Ephedra Decoction)
Formula 8 of 25 in Formulas that Release the Exterior
- Formulas that Release Early-Stage Exterior Disorders
- Exterior Wind-Cold Excess
- Promotes sweating, releases the exterior, and disperses wind cold
- Excess Wind Cold condition
- Chills and fever, no sweating, body aches, headache, wheezing, runny nose with clear discharge.
Possible Tongue Appearance:
- Thin white tongue coat
Possible Pulse Patterns:
- Floating and tight pulse
- Common Cold
Cautions, Contraindications, Herb Drug Interactions:
- Used only in exterior excess Wind Cold, and it's use is ceased once sweating occurs
- Not for exterior deficient Wind Cold patterns.
- Not for exterior Wind Heat patterns.
- Not for patients that are prone to bleeding.
- Use caution in patients with Hypertension.
Originally Appeared In:
- On Cold Damage (Shang Han Lun)
- This formula is best used when there is NO sweating with an exterior cold condition.
Combined Channels of all herbs in this formula:
- Lungs, Bladder, Heart, Large Intestine
There are 4 Substances in this Chinese Medicne
Ma Huang (Qty: 9 grams)
Spicy, Slightly Bitter, Warm
Gui Zhi (Qty: 6 grams)
HT, LU, BL
Spicy, Sweet, Warm
Ramulus Cinnamomi Cassiae
Xing Ren (Qty: 9-12 grams)
Bitter, Slightly Warm, Slightly Toxic
Semen Pruni Armeniacae
Ku Xing Ren
Zhi Gan Cao (Qty: 3 grams)
All 12 Channels
zhì gān căo