Herb 27 of 28 in Herbs that Regulate Water and Drain Dampness
Sweet, Bland, Cold
- Promotes Urination and Drains Damp
For urinary disorders with pain, difficulty, or dribbling, edema, dizziness, vertigo, and diarrhea. For many disorders associated with damp and water in the lower jiao.
- Drains Kidney Deficiency Fire
For spermatorrhea, premature ejaculation, and nocturnal emissions associated with Kidney fire possibly due to damp heat.
Contraindications and Cautions
- Use caution in cases with Sunken Qi in the Middle Jiao.
- Ze Xie promotes urination and may interfere with Diuretic drugs (ie - Lasix).
Toxicity and Overdose
- Overdose or extended use can result in hematuria, electrolyte imbalance, vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, and abdominal pain.
- 5-10 grams in decoction or up to 30 grams in severe cases 12
- 4.5 9 grams in decoction 13
- This herb is excellent at draining Damp due to its sweet, bland, and cold properties. It prevents excess heat from developing when combined with warm tonifying herbs.
Clinical Studies and Research
- Ze Xie has several physiological effects including diuretic (1), antihyperlipidemic (2), and antihypertensive (3). (Chen)
- Human clinical trials have shown Ze Xie to be effective at lowering cholesterol (4), and treating dizziness and vertigo(5). (Chen)
1. Sheng Yao Xue Za Zhi, 1982;36(2):150
2. He, XY. Effects of alisma plantago l. on hyperlipidemia, arteriosclerosis, and fatty liver. Chinese Journal of Modern Developments in Traditional Medicine. 1(2):114-7, Oct. 1981
3. Zhong Yao Yao Li Yu Ying Yong, 1983:718
4. Zhong Hua Yi Xue Za Zhi, 1976; 11:693
5. He Bei Zhong Yi Za Zhi, 1988; 6:14
- Cancer Lett. 2006 Jan 18;231(2):270-8.
Alisol B acetate, a triterpene from Alismatis rhizoma, induces Bax nuclear translocation and apoptosis in human hormone-resistant prostate cancer PC-3 cells.
- Arch Pharm Res. 2001 Dec;24(6):524-6.
Cytotoxic triterpenoides from Alismatis Rhizoma.
- Yakugaku Zasshi. 1991 Feb;111(2):138-45.
The effects of crude drugs using diuretic on horse kidney (Na+ + K+)-adenosine triphosphatase
- Life Sci. 1987 Oct 12;41(15):1845-52.
Effects of alismol isolated from Alismatis Rhizoma on calcium-induced contraction in the rabbit thoracic aorta.
This Herb Appears in the Following Formulas: