Herb 22 of 28 in Herbs that Regulate Water and Drain Dampness
Bitter, Sweet, Slightly Cold
- Clears Damp-Heat, Promotes Urination, Reduces Edema
For burning, painful urination with or without stones, blood or dribbling due to damp-heat. Also for reducing edema.
- Stops Bleeding
For trauma, hematemesis, epistaxis, hypermenorrhea, and bloody urine.
- Stops Cough, Expels Phlegm, and Clears the Lungs
For cough and wheezing due to Lung heat with phlegm
Contraindications and Cautions
Toxicity and Overdose
- 5-10 grams and 15-30 grams in severe cases in decoction 12
- 6-9 grams in decoction 13
- This herb goes to the Lungs and Bladder allowing it to clear damp and heat from the upper and lower parts of the body.
Clinical Studies and Research
- Chemical constituents of Pyrrosia petiolosa.
Yang C, Shi JG, Mo SY, Yang YC. - J Asian Nat Prod Res. 2003 Jun;5(2):143-50.
- Zhao YH. Related Articles, Analysis of the therapeutic effect of 1,148 cases of bacillary dysentery treated with Pyrrosia sheareri.
Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi. 1985 Sep;5(9):530-3, 514. Chinese.
- Zheng M. Related Articles, Experimental study of 472 herbs with antiviral action against the herpes simplex virus.
Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi. 1990 Jan;10(1):39-41, 6. Chinese.
- When Shi Wei was combined in an herbal formula it reduced sputum in 56% of cases with chronic tracheitis.
Shang Hai Ren Min Chu Ban She, 1973.