Herb 5 of 8 in Aromatic Herbs that Transform and Dissolve Dampness
Herba Eupatorii Fortunei
- Transforms Damp, Awaken the Spleen
For stifling sensation in the chest, lack of appetite, nausea, epigastric and abdominal distension, along with a white and moist tongue coat due to damp in the middle jiao.
- Clear Summerheat, Transforms Damp
For early stages of damp-warmth and summerheat-damp with nausea.
Contraindications and Cautions
Toxicity and Overdose
- Pei Lan contains the carcinogenic alkyloid pyrrolizidine. Long term use of high doses of this alkyloid may cause liver cancer but there is no recorded incidents associated with the herb itself.
- 5-10 grams in decoction, double the dose if fresh. 12
- 3-9 grams in decoction, double the dose if fresh 13
- Pei Lan and Huo Xiang use their acrid, aromatic qualities to transform damp, clear summerheat, and awaken the Spleen. Pei Lan is more suitable for chest oppression with a profuse, thick, sticky saliva and a sweet taste. Hou Xiang is better for nausea and vomiting.
Clinical Studies and Research