Herb 5 of 8 in Aromatic Herbs that Transform and Dissolve Dampness
Bitter, Spicy, Warm, Aromatic
Cortex Magnoliae Officinalis
- Moves and Regulates Qi, Resolves Stagnation
Abdominal, epigastric, and/or chest fullness, bloating, loss of appetite, poor digestion, constipation, and a plum pit throat sensation.
- Warms and Dries Damp
For nausea, vomiting, distension, fullness in the abdomen and epigastrum, decreased appetite, diarrhea, and a turbid, greasy tongue coat.
- Descends Qi, Calms Wheezing, Dissolves Phlegm
For cough, wheezing and dyspnea with chest congestion and excess phlegm.
Contraindications and Cautions
- Use with caution during pregnancy
- Use with caution in cases of Qi Deficiency
- Hou Po contains magnolol, a mild anticoagulant. Caution should be used in patients taking antiplatelets or anticoagulants including; aspirin, dipyridamole, clopidogrel(plavix), heparin, warfarin, and enoxaparin(Lovenox).
Toxicity and Overdose
- 3-10 grams in decoction 12
- 3-9 grams in decoction 13
- Hou Po is noted both traditionally and in modern research as having different effects depending on the dosage size.
- Hou Po stands out in its ability to treat fullness and accumulation in the form of constipation when compared to Cang Zhu.
Clinical Studies and Research
- Inhibitory effects of magnolol on distal colon of guinea pig in vitro.
Biol Pharm Bull. 2006 Apr;29(4):790-5.
- Pharmacological effect of cortex Magnoliae officinalis on digestion system
Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi. 1997 Nov;22(11):686-8.
- Elucidating the inhibitory mechanisms of magnolol on rat smooth muscle cell proliferation.
J Pharmacol Sci. 2005 Dec;99(4):392-9. Epub 2005 Dec 7
- Effects of magnolol and honokiol derived from traditional Chinese herbal remedies on gastrointestinal movement.
World J Gastroenterol. 2005 Jul 28;11(28):4414-8.
- Anti-inflammatory effects of magnolol and honokiol are mediated through inhibition of the downstream pathway of MEKK-1 in NF-kappaB activation signaling.
Planta Med. 2005 Apr;71(4):338-43.
- Magnolol stimulates lipolysis in lipid-laden RAW 264.7 macrophages.
J Cell Biochem. 2005 Apr 1;94(5):1028-37.
- Cytotoxic neolignans: an SAR study.
Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2005 Jan 3;15(1):163-6
- Magnolol and honokiol enhance HL-60 human leukemia cell differentiation induced by 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 and retinoic acid.
Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2005 Feb;37(2):427-41.
- Hou Po has been demonstrated to have several physiological effects including as an anticoagulant (1), CNS suppressant (2), gastrointestinal inhibitor (3), antihypertensive (4), respiratory (5), and antibiotic (6).
- Hou Po was shown to be effective in treating bloating following a hysterectomy (7).
- 1. CA, 1988; 109:86013k
- 2. Yao Xue Tong Bao, 1985; 20(9):522
- 3. J. of Nat. Prod., 1991; 54(3):816
- 4. Yao Jian Gong Zuo Tong Xun, 1980; 10(4):209
- 5. Zhong Yao Xue, 1998; 320:323
- 6. Planta Med., 1982; 44(2):100
- 7. Xin Yi Yao Xue Za Zhi, 1973; 4:25
This Herb Appears in the Following Formulas: