Herb 8 of 28 in Herbs that Regulate Water and Drain Dampness
Sweet, Bland, Cool
- Promotes Urination, Clears Heat, Reduces Edema and Swelling
For edema usually due to damp heat, abdominal distention, urinary difficulty and summer heat disorders.
Contraindications and Cautions
Toxicity and Overdose
- 15-30 grams in decoction 12
- 15-30 grams in decoction 13
- Dong Gua Pi has a mild harmonizing effect and is usually used with other herbs that promote urination and clear heat
Clinical Studies and Research
- Anti-angiogenic effect of the seed extract of Benincasa hispida Cogniaux.
J Ethnopharmacol. 2005 Mar 21;97(3):509-13.
- Antioxidant and angiotension-converting enzyme inhibition capacities of various parts of Benincasa hispida (wax gourd).
Nahrung. 2004 Jun;48(3):230-3.
- Extracts of Benincasa hispida prevent development of experimental ulcers.
J Ethnopharmacol. 2001 Dec;78(2-3):159-64.