Herb 9 of 28 in Herbs that Regulate Water and Drain Dampness
Sweet, Bitter, Cold
Fructus Kochiae Scopariae
Earth Skin Seeds
- Clear Damp Heat and Promote Urination
For dysuria with burning scanty dark urine due to damp heat
- Expel Damp and Stop Itching
For itching disorders including eczema, scabies, and urticaria due to dampness on the skin or damp heat on the genitals
Contraindications and Cautions
- This section is being researched, and is not completed.
Toxicity and Overdose
- Rare reports of allergic reaction after oral application result in urticaria, pruritis, and vesicles on the mouth and lips.
- 10-15 grams in decoction 12
- 9-15 grams in decoction 13
- Di Fu Zi is very similar to Ku Shen since both clear Damp Heat, Expel Wind, relieve itching and promote urination but Ku Shen clears damp heat better since it is bitter cold. Di Fu Zi is better at Expelling Wind and Damp and relieving itching.
Clinical Studies and Research
- Di Fu Zi inhited growth of dermatophytes and pathogenic fungi in vitro.
Yun Nan Zhong Yao Zhi, 1990; 244.
- Momordin Ic and oleanolic acid from Kochiae Fructus reduce carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity in rats.
J Med Food. 2005 Summer;8(2):177-83.
- Susceptibilities of Mycoplasma hominis to herbs.
Am J Chin Med. ;33(2):191-6.
- Studies on Kochiae Fructus. V. Antipruritic effects of oleanolic acid glycosides and the structure-requirement.
Biol Pharm Bull. 1998 Nov;21(11):1231-3.
- Studies on kochiae fructus. IV. Anti-allergic effects of 70% ethanol extract and its component, momordin Ic from dried fruits of Kochia scoparia L.
Biol Pharm Bull. 1997 Nov;20(11):1165-70.
- Studies on kochiae fructus. III. Antinociceptive and antiinflammatory effects of 70% ethanol extract and its component, momordin Ic from dried fruits of Kochia scoparia L.
Biol Pharm Bull. 1997 Oct;20(10):1086-91.
- Studies on Kochiae Fructus. I. Antipruritogenic effect of 70% ethanol extract from kochiae fructus and its active component
Yakugaku Zasshi. 1997 Apr;117(4):193-201.