Herb 3 of 19 in Herbs that Regulate the Qi
Spicy, Slightly Warm
Pericarpium Arecae Catechu
Big Abdomen Peel
- Directs Qi Downward, Eases the Middle
Treats abdominal distension, oppression and fullness. Especially if accompanied by incomplete evacuation or irregular evacuation. Also treats morning sickness.
- Promotes Diuresis, Reduces Edema
Treats edema with abdominal distension, superficial edema, and food stagnation. Also good for accumulated rebellious leg Qi.
Contraindications and Cautions
- Use caution during pregnancy.
- This section is being researched, and is not completed.
Toxicity and Overdose
- 1 reported case of anaphylactic shock. Reported allergic reactions include urticaria, severe abdominal pain, and diarrhea.
- 3-10 grams in decoction (Chen)
- 4.5-9 grams in decoction (Bensky)
This Herb Appears in the Following Formulas: