Chinese Herb: Yu Mi Xu (Cornsilk), Stylus Zeae Mays
Herb 28 of 28
Herbs that Regulate Water and Drain Dampness
BL, GB, LIV
Stylus Zeae Mays
yù mĭ xū
Jade Rice Whiskers
Chinese Herb Actions
Promote and Unblocks Urination, Reduce Edema
For edema especially if due to nephritis, swelling, painful urination that is hot or burning with possible dribbling, and painful urination with stones. Also for diabetes.
- Clear Damp-Heat from Liver and Gallbladder
For hepatitis, cholelithiasis, cholecystitis, and hypertension with signs of damp-heat.
Chinese Herb Contraindications & Cautions
- None Noted
- Caution should be used when using prescription diuretics though adverse interactions are undocumented.
- Caution should be used when taking coumadin since this herb contains vitamin K, which affects clotting time.
Chinese Herb Toxicity & Overdose
- None Noted
- Section not completed...
Chinese Herb Dosage
- 15-30 grams or 45-60 grams in severe cases in decoction 12
- 15-30 grams in decoction 13
Chinese Herb Notes
- The sweet and bland taste of this herb flushes dampness from the body.
Chinese Herb Clinical Studies & Research
- Yu Mi Xu has been shown to have several physiological effects including diuretic(1), antihypertensive (2), cholagogic (3), hemostatic (4) and antidiabetic (5). (Chen)
- Yu Mi Xu has demonstrated a significant effect on chronic nephritis in human trial(6). (Chen)
1. Zhong Yao Xue, 1998; 362:363
2. Zhong Yao Da Ci Dien; 1037
3. Zhong Yao Xue, 1998; 362:363
4. Zhong Yao Xue, 1998; 362:363
5. Zhong Yao Xue, 1998; 362:363
6. Zhong Hua Yi Xue Za Zhi, 1956; 10:922
- Phytomedicine. 2005 May;12(5):363-9.
Zea mays L. extracts modify glomerular function and potassium urinary excretion in conscious rats.
- Ren Fail. 2005;27(6):763-70.
Effects of Hypoxis hemerocallidea (Fisch. & C.A. Mey.) [Hypoxidaceae] corm (African Potato) aqueous extract on renal electrolyte and fluid handling in the rat.
- Exp Mol Med. 2004 Dec 31;36(6):545-50.
Corn silk induces nitric oxide synthase in murine macrophages.
- Pharmazie. 2004 Dec;59(12):967-71.
Diuretic activity of Maydis stigma extract in rats.
- J Pharm Pharmacol. 2004 Nov;56(11):1443-7.
Corni fructus as the major herb of Die-Huang-Wan for lowering plasma glucose in Wistar rats.
If you found this page interesting, please share it!