Chinese Herb: Huo Xiang (Patchouli, Agastache), Herba Agastaches Rugosus, Herba Pogostemonis
LU, SP, ST
Spicy, Slightly Warm
Herba Agastaches Rugosus, Herba Pogostemonis
Buy This Herb
Chinese Herb Actions
Dispels Damp, Relieves Summer-Damp and Releases the Exterior
For fullness and distension in the abdomen and epigastrum, poor appetite, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and greasy tongue coat due to summer-dampness affecting the Spleen and Stomach.
- Harmonizes the Middle Jiao, Awaken the Spleen, Relieves Nausea and Vomiting
For nausea, vomiting, and morning sickness especially if due to turbid dampness in the middle jiao.
- Treats Fungal Infections
For dermatosis or fungal infections of the hands and feet.
Chinese Herb Contraindications & Cautions
- Do not use in cases where there is Yin Deficiency with Fire Blazing.
- None Noted
Chinese Herb Toxicity & Overdose
- None Noted
- Section not completed...
Chinese Herb Dosage
- 5-10 grams in decoction, should be added at the end of boiling 12
- 3-9 grams in decoction, double dosage of fresh herb, don’t overcook 13
Chinese Herb Notes
- Two herbs are commonly called Huo Xiang; Agastache and Pogostemonis. They share common functions and are interchangeable.
Chinese Herb Clinical Studies & Research
- Essential oil compounds from Agastache rugosa as antifungal agents against Trichophyton species.
Arch Pharm Res. 2004 Mar;27(3):295-9.
- Antifungal activity of the essential oil of Agastache rugosa Kuntze and its synergism with ketoconazole.
Lett Appl Microbiol. 2003;36(2):111-5.
- Antifungal effects of herbal essential oils alone and in combination with ketoconazole against Trichophyton spp.
J Appl Microbiol. 2004;97(6):1289-96.
- HIV integrase inhibitory activity of Agastache rugosa.
Arch Pharm Res. 1999 Oct;22(5):520-3
- Agastaquinone, a new cytotoxic diterpenoid quinone from Agastache rugosa.
J Nat Prod. 1995 Nov;58(11):1718-21.
- Huo Xiang has proven antibiotic effects (1) and stimulatory effect on the secretion of gastric acid (2).
- Huo Xiang in a formula has shown to effective for infantile diarrhea (3).
- 1. Zhong Yao Xue, 1998; 323:324
- 2. Zhong Yao Xue, 1998; 323:324
- 3. Fu Jian Zhong Yi Yao, 1984; (1):13
This Herb Appears in the Following Formulas:
If you found this page interesting, please share it!