Formula 4 of 10 in Formulas that Warm Interior Cold
- Formulas that Warm the Channels and Disperse Cold
- Cold from Yang Deficiency with upward movement of cold
- Tonifies and warms the middle burner (SP/ST)
- Moves rebellious Qi downward.
- Alleviates pain.
- Severe abdominal and epigastric pain that is aggravated with pressure
- A strong cold sensation in the abdomen.
- Nausea and vomiting causing an inability to eat.
Possible Tongue Appearance:
- Pale tongue with a moist coat
- Pale tongue with a greasy white coat
Possible Pulse Patterns:
- Tight pulse
- Slow and wiry pulse
- Deep and thready pulse in severe cases
- Chronic gastritis
- Chronic Pancreatitis
- Chronic Cholecystitis
- Urinary calculi
- Uncomplicated intestinal obstruction
- Abdominal pain with spasms
- Biliary Ascariasis
- Duodenal ulcer
Cautions, Contraindications, Herb Drug Interactions:
- Do not use in cases of Blood and Yin Deficiency, with Damp Heat conditions, or internal clumping
- This formula contains one or more toxic substances.
While some Chinese herbs are toxic, many come prepared, or are combined, to mitigate their toxicity.
- Decoction. Yi Tang is added to the final strained decoction.
- In modern formulations, Dang Shen is often substituted for Ren Shen with 2-3 times the dosage, a lower dosage of Chuan Jiao can be used, and half the listed dosage of Gan Jiang and Yi Tang are used.
Originally Appeared In:
- Essentials from the Golden Cabinet (Jin Gui Yao Lue)
Combined Channels of all herbs in this formula:
- Stomach, Spleen, Kidneys, Lungs, Heart
There are 4 Substances in this Chinese Medicne
Spicy, Hot, Slightly Toxic
Pericarpium Zanthoxyli Bungeani
Hua Jiao, Qin Jiao, Shu Jiao, Ba Jiao, Hong Jiao
dry Rhizoma Zingiberis
Sweet, Slightly Bitter, Slightly Warm
Yi Tang (Qty: 18-30 grams)
Sweet, Slightly Warm
Find Similar Chinese Formulas
Sacred Lotus can compare the Chinese herbs in this formula to all other formulas on the website. Formula archetypes will list of formulas that have similar herbs, ranked by the number of herbs that match: