Da Jian Zhong Tang (Major Construct the Middle Decoction)
Formula 4 of 10 in Formulas that Warm Interior Cold
- Formulas that Warm the Channels and Disperse Cold
- Cold from Yang Deficiency with upward movement of cold
- Tonifies and warms the middle burner (SP/ST)
- Moves rebellious Qi downward.
- Alleviates pain.
- Severe abdominal and epigastric pain that is aggravated with pressure
- A strong cold sensation in the abdomen.
- Nausea and vomiting causing an inability to eat.
Possible Tongue Appearance:
- Pale tongue with a moist coat
- Pale tongue with a greasy white coat
Possible Pulse Patterns:
- Tight pulse
- Slow and wiry pulse
- Deep and thready pulse in severe cases
- Chronic gastritis
- Chronic Pancreatitis
- Chronic Cholecystitis
- Urinary calculi
- Uncomplicated intestinal obstruction
- Abdominal pain with spasms
- Biliary Ascariasis
- Duodenal ulcer
Cautions, Contraindications, Herb Drug Interactions:
- Do not use in cases of Blood and Yin Deficiency, with Damp Heat conditions, or internal clumping
- This formula contains one or more toxic substances.
While some Chinese herbs are toxic, many come prepared, or are combined, to mitigate their toxicity.
- Decoction. Yi Tang is added to the final strained decoction.
- In modern formulations, Dang Shen is often substituted for Ren Shen with 2-3 times the dosage, a lower dosage of Chuan Jiao can be used, and half the listed dosage of Gan Jiang and Yi Tang are used.
Originally Appeared In:
- Essentials from the Golden Cabinet (Jin Gui Yao Lue)
Combined Channels of all herbs in this formula:
- Stomach, Spleen, Kidneys, Lungs, Heart
There are 4 Substances in this Chinese Medicne
Chuan Jiao (Qty: 3-9 grams)
KI, SP, ST
Spicy, Hot, Slightly Toxic
Pericarpium Zanthoxyli Bungeani
Hua Jiao, Qin Jiao, Shu Jiao, Ba Jiao, Hong Jiao
Gan Jiang (Qty: 12 grams)
HT, LU, SP, ST
dry Rhizoma Zingiberis
Ren Shen (Qty: 6 grams)
Sweet, Slightly Bitter, Slightly Warm
Yi Tang (Qty: 18-30 grams)
LU, SP, ST
Sweet, Slightly Warm
Find Similar Chinese Formulas
If you found this page interesting, please share it!