Ma Xing Shi Gan Tang (Ephedra, Apricot Kernel, Gypsum, and Licorice Decoction)
Formula 23 of 30 in Formulas that Clear Heat
- Formulas that Clear Heat from the Qi Level
- Heat trapped in the Lungs, with or without an external Wind-Heat condition
- Releases the exterior, and clears Wind Heat
- Clears heat from the Lungs.
- Circulates the Lung Qi and stops wheezing by directing rebellious Lung Qi down.
- Fever with or without sweating
- Coughing, wheezing, or asthma with difficult or labored breathing.
- Flaring and pain of the nostrils.
- Thirst with dry throat.
Possible Tongue Appearance:
- Red tip with a thin yellow or white tongue coat
Possible Pulse Patterns:
- Rapid, slippery, and floating when presenting with external conditions
- Upper Respiratory Tract Infections
- Lobar Pneumonia
- Bronchial Pneumonia
- Bronchial Asthma
- Pneumonitis from Measles
- Pertussis (Whooping Cough)
Cautions, Contraindications, Herb Drug Interactions:
- Do not use in cases of wheezing or asthma due to Wind Cold invasion
- This formula contains one or more toxic substances (while some Chinese herbs are toxic, it must be noted that many come prepared, or are combined, to mitigate their toxicity).
- Decoction. Modern Dosage is usually 50% less than listed.
Originally Appeared In:
- On Cold Damage (Shang Han Lun)
- Especially useful in children.
Combined Channels of all herbs in this formula:
- Lungs, Bladder, Stomach, Large Intestine
Substances in this Formula (4 Total):