Ma Huang Tang (Ephedra Decoction)
Formula 5 of 25 in Formulas that Release the Exterior
- Formulas that Release Early-Stage Exterior Disorders
- Exterior Wind-Cold Excess
- Promotes sweating, releases the exterior, and disperses wind cold
- Excess Wind Cold condition
- Chills and fever, no sweating, body aches, headache, wheezing, runny nose with clear discharge.
Possible Tongue Appearance:
Possible Pulse Patterns:
Cautions, Contraindications, Herb Drug Interactions:
- Used only in exterior excess Wind Cold, and it's use is ceased once sweating occurs
- Not for exterior deficient Wind Cold patterns.
- Not for exterior Wind Heat patterns.
- Not for patients that are prone to bleeding.
- Use caution in patients with Hypertension.
- This formula contains one or more toxic substances (while some Chinese herbs are toxic, it must be noted that many come prepared, or are combined, to mitigate their toxicity).
Originally Appeared In:
- On Cold Damage (Shang Han Lun)
- This formula is best used when there is NO sweating with an exterior cold condition.
Combined Channels of all herbs in this formula:
- Lungs, Bladder, Heart, Large Intestine
Substances in this Formula (4 Total):