Huang Lian Jie Du Tang (Coptis Decoction to Relieve Toxicity)
Formula 8 of 30 in Formulas that Clear Heat
- Formulas that Clear Heat from the Qi Level
- Fire toxins in all three Jiao
- Drains fire and clears toxicity
- High fever, irritability, dry mouth and throat, insomnia
- Hematemesis, epistaxis, or spitting of blood.
- Toxic swellings such as carbuncles, furuncles, other suppurative sores, and deep-rooted boils.
- Damp Heat Jaundice.
- Damp Heat Dysentery.
Possible Tongue Appearance:
- Red and dry with a yellow coat
Possible Pulse Patterns:
- Acute Urinary Tract Infection
- Purulent Skin Lesions (Furuncles, Carbuncles, and Boils)
Cautions, Contraindications, Herb Drug Interactions:
- Use only in cases where the patient has a strong constitution
- Do not use in cases where there is fluid or Yin deficiency.
- Do not use over a long period of time.
- Decoction. Modern dosage of Huang Lian is usually 50-75% less than the dosage indicated.
Originally Appeared In:
- Arcane Essentials from the Imperial Library (Wai Tai Bi Yao)
Combined Channels of all herbs in this formula:
- Large Intestine, Stomach, Heart, Liver, Lungs, Gall Bladder, Kidneys
Substances in this Formula (4 Total):
|Zhi Zi (Gardenia, Cape Jasmine Fruit) 栀子
||HT, LIV, LU, ST, TB
||Fructus Gardeniae Jasminoidis
||Herbs that Drain Fire