Gui Zhi Tang (Cinnamon Twig Decoction)
Formula 3 of 25 in Formulas that Release the Exterior
- Formulas that Release Early-Stage Exterior Disorders
- Exterior Wind-Cold from Deficiency
- Harmonizes the Ying and Wei Qi, releases the muscle layer
- Deficient Wind Cold condition, chills and fever that are not alleviated by sweating, stiff neck, headache, aversion to wind
Possible Tongue Appearance:
Possible Pulse Patterns:
- Floating and Moderate
- Frail pulse
- Common Cold
- Postpartum Care
- Morning Sickness
- Skin Diseases such as Frostbite, Eczema, and Tinea
Cautions, Contraindications, Herb Drug Interactions:
- Not for exterior excess Wind Cold patterns or Wind Heat patterns
- Not for damp heat or internal heat patterns.
- Do not use while consuming alcohol.
Originally Appeared In:
- On Cold Damage (Shang Han Lun)
- This formula is best used when there is sweating with an exterior cold condition, the Wei (protective) Qi is unable to protect the exterior and the Ying (nutritive) Qi can not nurture the interior.
Combined Channels of all herbs in this formula:
- Lungs, Heart, Bladder, Spleen, Liver, Stomach
Substances in this Formula (5 Total):